Introduction from the authors

This forum is for teachers wanting to make use of the course materials "Understanding Radio Communications - using SDRs" Initially moderated by course authors Paolo and Lorenzo, it is the place to ask questions about the materials and learn from the experiences of these and other teachers.
paolomarzioli

Introduction from the authors

Ciao, SDRplay community!

I'm Paolo Marzioli from Sapienza University of Rome. I am one of the authors of the "Understanding Radio Communications" course by SDRplay.

I was born and raised in Rome, Italy, and I am currently finishing my PhD in Aeronautical and Space Engineering at Sapienza, my thesis deals about navigation and tracking systems for CubeSats (nano-satellites, satellites below 10 kg of mass).

In my years at Sapienza, I had the luck to participate in the development and launch of two stratospheric balloon experiments (flown from Northern Sweden in 2016 and 2019) and in the development and qualification of three CubeSat projects (LEDSAT, GreenCube and WILDTRACKCUBE-SIMBA, all to be launched in 2021).

I first worked with SDRplay devices for my first stratospheric experiment STRATONAV in 2016, where we used the RSP1 in stratosphere to record the VHF spectrum in search for VOR signals. With that flight, we demonstrated the precision of the VOR navigation system in stratosphere. We came in touch with SDRplay during the development of our second stratospheric payload, TARDIS, when I was a project supervisor for younger students at my department. In that occasion, SDRplay RSP1As were used in stratosphere to try to determine the balloon vehicle attitude in stratospheric flight. During that project, we came in touch with the SDRplay staff and started to discuss about the development of teaching materials that now became the Understanding Radio Communication teaching package that is releasing in these days.

I hope you'll have the chance to use (and possibly enjoy) the teaching materials and that our work is useful for spreading knowledge on SDRs all around the world! And for every question or suggestion, we can stay in touch through this forum!

Cheers and see you soon!!!
Lorenzo.Frezza

Re: Introduction from the authors

Hello all!
I am Lorenzo Frezza from Sapienza University of Rome and I have been working with Paolo in the last few years.
I am currently a PhD student in Aeronautical and Space Engineering at Sapienza, working with the attitude determination of nano-satellites.
I am very happy to have worked on this course, to give students an introduction to the world of SDRs and of SDRPlay in particular. We constantly use SDRs in our works, from simple testing devices to full satellite ground stations and more, and we hope to give students the proper introduction to these devices I wished I had when first starting doing projects with them. As Paolo mentioned, we have consistently use RSPs from SDRPlay in our projects for they ease of use and capabilities.
Please leave any feedback in the forum, we welcome all suggestions and messages! I hope you enjoy the teaching package

See you soon!
Lorenzo